Friday, February 12, 2010

Picky Eaters Take 2

So I weenied out last time, and gave up after two tidbits of advice. For those of you with caffeine allergies or needing something sugarless, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to wait, and I hope you can ever, ever forgive me.

Ok, so you're a wee bittie upset. I'll try to make it up to you.

So...where was I...so you're avoiding sugar/following Atkins.
I'm putting these together because at a coffee shop, most of the advice is the same. This one is probably the easiest, but, alas, it has the least amount of choices. Remember when I told you all of our syrups? And I mentioned how vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, and cinnamon dolce all come in sugar-free? If you want flavor, those four are going to be your only choices in this instance. I think in later years we'll be seeing more sugar-free options from our bff Howard, but then again, judging by the success of the tar-flavored sugar-free mocha, possibly not.
So sugar-free syrups, that's obvious, right? But another way to change your sugar (carb) content is to change your milk. (Note: this is why I didn't write this paragraph to diabetics, because you guys would have just thrown things and my head and shouted about how you already knew all this. I'm sorry I'm not breaking any new grounds here.) Nonfat (skim) milk has about 12-13g of sugar in a 12 oz. glass. Heavy whipping cream has none, and no carbs either. Now, a latte made with heavy whipping cream probably sounds incredibly foul, but it...ok, it is. BUT. One of our regulars, whom I've known for about 4 years, orders a regular coffee with sugar free vanilla and a splash of heavy whipping cream. She does this because her husband is diabetic and no sugar has become a habit, but over the time that I have seen her order this, she has lost about 60 pounds.
Of course, plain iced or hot tea and plain iced or hot coffee works in this situation as well.

So you need it gluten free.
Well, in our drinks you don't have much to worry about, except maybe in the protein and fiber powder (I'll check on that). In our pastries, however, it's another story. Since they got rid of the valencia orange cake, in most stores there are no gluten free options. However, Starbucks has recently started rolling out healthy, organic and gluten free options, like fruit based gels and a variety of flavored nuts. So good news for you!

So nuts are right out.
Again, in our drinks this is not so bad. Just don't get hazelnut syrup (and maybe toffee nut, but I'll check for sure.) Pastries, on the other hand, are less easy. While the ones that are actually made with nuts are obvious (like the toffee pecan bar), please be aware that all of our pastries are made in a factory that also makes things with nuts, and sometimes they swap cooties. If you aren't worried by this, enjoy a cinnamon bun. Hey, sometimes risks are delicious.

So you're allergic to caffeine.
Get it decaffeinated.

I think that's all that I can think of, but if you have an issue and would like to know a solution, please let me know in the comments. Also, if you didn't see something you would like to get, and you have an idea of how Starbucks can remedy this, submit your Starbucks idea. Make it clear, concise, well spelled, and with a real solution (they see about a kajillion of these every 2 seconds) and you may get to see it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment